Drummer and composer Yogev Shetrit embarks on a new path, with the decision to focus on performing his original compositions and to uncover his own creations. It was two years ago when Shetrit (39) decided to set up this trio of drums, piano and double bass. He grew up in Be’er Sheva. At the age of eleven he took his first drumming lessons at the neighborhood community center after playing nonstop on a small drum-kit his brother received from their parents. Listening at home to Dave Brubeck’s Take Five had planted the seeds for his love of jazz and fascination with challenging beats. By the age of fourteen, he was already drumming with rock bands and later discovered the worlds of fusion and jazz. He acquired his extensive musical education at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Drummers Collective NYC, and the Rimon School of Jazz and Contemporary Music. Since 2003 and for eleven years, he performed on various stages around the world as a founding member of the successful Kululush hip-hop funk and soul band.
Shetrit has the ability to express his musical ideas on piano, recorder, flute and guitar. His compositions reflect changing moods and life experiences including dedications to loved ones, such as his young daughter. “Usually my works are created from the music of the moment,” he says, “I sit down at the piano and start playing, sometimes an idea plays in my head throughout the day and then I record it and develop it in the studio. A composition can be created from a drum rhythm or bass line to which I add melody and harmony”. He worked with Chuchito Valdes, Avi Adrian, Elon Turgeman, Eli Benakot, Dori Ben Zeev, Mika Karni and Steve Paskov, among others, and with his trio has already performed throughout Europe, India, Guatemala and Kazakhstan.
Released last year, this trio’s debut album includes 11 pieces composed arranged and produced by Shetrit, featuring a wealth of sounds that integrates traditional and roots music, Andalusian and Moroccan music, Gnawa music, Cuban and Brazilian, contemporary jazz, ragtime, bebop, hard bop as well as funk and drum and bass influences. This album is Israel’s melting pot at its best nurturing a distinct world music style jazz genre, which is indeed Israeli jazz or ethno-jazz, as it is sometimes referred to.
The New Path album and performance has received praises commending Shetrit’s techniques of improvisation that are tasteful, precise and well timed, noting the broad spectrum and talent apparent in the work of the trio. One album review concluded, “From Moroccan themes to hard bop this is a must for music lovers who wish to mix up their jazz with the extra pizzazz offered by the fusion of world music”. With exciting melodies alternately expressing deep sadness or perfect ecstasy, Shetrit’s musical exploration is the best ethno jazz has to offer.
Yogev Shetrit Drums, Compositions & Production
Stav Goldberg Piano
Meni Welt Bass
- All festival venues offer seating chart booking by seat and row numbers.
- Wheelchair-accessible seating available for booking at the call center.
- Resident Discount for the Eilat municipality and the Central Arava regional council available only upon presentation of a valid resident ID at the ticket pick-up box-office and at admittance to the venue.
- The festival box-office in Eilat is located at the Isrotel Theater at the Royal Garden Hotel during the festival.
- The 2018 winter RSJF venues are the Isrotel Theater at the Royal Garden Hotel and Canaan Hall at the Queen of Sheba Hotel, located on Antibes Street, Eilat.
- In accordance with hotel security policy, no weapons are allowed in the festival venues.
- Please be attentive to the instructions of the Royal Garden / Queen of Sheba hotel stewards and security guards.
- Entrance with food and drink according to the policy of venue host hotel.
- To avoid the queue, please print out your tickets in advance.
- Entrance to the venue will be approximately 15 minutes prior to scheduled performance time.
- Once the show has started, late arrivals will be required to wait for a suitable time during performance to be admitted into the venue.
- The 2018 winter RSJF production reserves the right to implement all modifications and improvements as deemed necessary. Please stay tuned for update mailings from the RSJF production and Eventim booking and visit our website https://en.redseajazz.co.il/