One night in Paris changed the course of life for Israeli pianist Yaron Herman. He had already decided to renounce the thought of continuing his music studies in the USA and was on his way home to Israel when a plane stop in Paris extended to an overnight stay due to a snowstorm. Since he was forced to spend a night in the frozen city of lights, Herman was bound to walk into a jazz club, sit down and play. Just like in a good story, two musicians who were in urgent need of a pianist were enchanted by his charm and suggested that he stay in town for a week to perform with them. And so the story continues since that night in the early 2000s.
Herman (36) started playing only at the age of 16, following an injury causing him to give up basketball. Since that destined night in Paris, he has integrated well into the local music scene, and to this day has already performed on all continents, led the judging panel at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, appeared on television in 39 countries and won numerous awards. Signed by Universal Jazz, he released three albums as a bandleader and participated in many others, and he is the first jazz pianist ever to play in the Forbidden City in Beijing.
Herman has developed a unique style of real-time composing with blazing wild improvisation that climax in a playful and captivating form. He is an intelligent and creative musician and composer, who shows great thought and interest in both original compositions and the creation of fresh interpretation to familiar tunes. Interpretation is creation as far as he is concerned, gladly working with materials such as No Surprises by Radiohead, Toxic by Britney Spears, or the theme from The Games of Thrones. While performing with friends in Israel a selection of jazz arrangements of familiar Israeli songs, including a well-known composition by Sasha Argov, the composer’s wife who sat in the audience was profoundly moved.
Creativity and ideas can appear suddenly at the most unlikely moments, and Herman cultivates them patiently allowing them to grow like plants over time. For example, on a 12-hour flight from Paris to Tokyo, a broken air conditioning unit clacked above Herman’s head. After four or five hours of unbearable nerve-wracking noise, Herman captured the idea that led to the creation of an original composition. In his talk at TEDxParis he describes the complete piece that incorporates motifs by Bach as “A/C meets Bach”.
Herman’s creative journey is personal and intimate yet open to all. In an interview with HaAretz he said, “Music holds the potential to convey a state of being that artists can reach through their work. This is what makes people excited about music”. Time Out London excitedly describes Herman’s performance, “masterful piano playing that mixes extreme virtuosity and a razor-sharp wit”.
Yaron Herman Piano
Ziv Ravitz Drums
Hagay Cohen Milo bass
- All festival venues offer seating chart booking by seat and row numbers.
- Wheelchair-accessible seating available for booking at the call center.
- Resident Discount for the Eilat municipality and the Central Arava regional council available only upon presentation of a valid resident ID at the ticket pick-up box-office and at admittance to the venue.
- The festival box-office in Eilat is located at the Isrotel Theater at the Royal Garden Hotel during the festival.
- The 2018 winter RSJF venues are the Isrotel Theater at the Royal Garden Hotel and Canaan Hall at the Queen of Sheba Hotel, located on Antibes Street, Eilat.
- In accordance with hotel security policy, no weapons are allowed in the festival venues.
- Please be attentive to the instructions of the Royal Garden / Queen of Sheba hotel stewards and security guards.
- Entrance with food and drink according to the policy of venue host hotel.
- To avoid the queue, please print out your tickets in advance.
- Entrance to the venue will be approximately 15 minutes prior to scheduled performance time.
- Once the show has started, late arrivals will be required to wait for a suitable time during performance to be admitted into the venue.
- The 2018 winter RSJF production reserves the right to implement all modifications and improvements as deemed necessary. Please stay tuned for update mailings from the RSJF production and Eventim booking and visit our website https://en.redseajazz.co.il/