The 2017 Red Sea Jazz Festival
August 27-30 at the Eilat Port
Artistic Director: Eli Degibri Production: Forum Faktor
Introducing an impressive list of artists from Israel and worldwide, as well as 4 festive days with Master Classes, Workshops, and the traditional Jam Stage at the prestigious 31st Red Sea international jazz festival in Eilat.
The complete lineup for the 2017 Summer Red Sea Jazz Festival includes:
Al McKay’s Earth Wind & Fire Experience – this iconic ensemble that captivated audiences in the best festivals around the world featuring the greatest hits of EWF * The Degibri Big Band featuring Dikla, Miri Mesika and Marina Maximilian * Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band * Christian Scott * Chano Domínguez * Ofer Portugaly featuring Leah Shabat, Doron Talmon (Jane Bordeaux), Sagiv Cohen and Alon Eder * Catherine Russel * Josh Evans * Pasquale Grasso * Kobi Oz * Dori Ben Ze’ev featuring Tamar Eisenman * JT & The Magnificent Soul * The Erez Bar Noy Sextet * The Johnny O’Neal Trio * Avi Rothbard * Wayne Escoffery * Yamandú Costa with Roee Ben-Sira, Oded Aloni and Hadar Noiberg * The Aaron Goldberg Trio * The Noam David Trio * Geshem featuring vocalists Keren Malka and Alon Lotringer * The Hoodna Orchestra * Demisu Belete * The Hagiga Sextet *
The 31st Red Sea Jazz Festival, led by artistic director, the world-known musician Eli Degibri, introduces a multicolor program starring prominent International and Israeli musicians, pillars of today’s world jazz scene.
The 2017 Red Sea Jazz Festival Special Performances include:
- Al McKay’s Earth Wind & Fire Experience a genuine experience of one of the legendary bands in the history of American music, led by original band member Al McKay, a virtuoso guitarist known for his outstanding authentic technique, song writer and groove designer, the producer of Boogie Wonderland and co-author of September.
- The Degibri Big Band a tribute to the great female jazz singers featuring Dikla, Miri Mesika and Marina Maximilian.
- Brian Blade The acclaimed NYC based drummer with The Fellowship Band.
- Kobi Oz Footsteps of a Dream contemporary ethnic interpretation to the songs of popular Israeli singer Arik Einstein.
- Geshem an innovative ensemble remake of the opera Porgy and Bess, and featuring, in the roles of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, vocalists Alon Lotringer and Keren Malka.
- Ofer Portugaly Jazzing It Up featuring Alon Eder, Doron Talmon (Jane Bordeaux), Sagiv Cohen, and Leah Shabat.
- Christian Scott a trumpeter giant from New Orleans with a sophisticated and awesome quintet.
- Dori Ben Ze’ev The Jazz Stories of Meir Ariel with special guest artist Tamar Eisenman.
Forum Faktor, the Red Sea Jazz Festival producer for the past three years, further creates a wide range of content as well as various collaborations with the Eilat Municipality:
- The Eilat Sound Project offering festival guests a variety of alternative musical experiences in bars and cafes throughout the city.
- The Israeli Jazz Convention expanded this year to include workshops, master classes and intriguing panel discussions at the festival hotel, the Leonardo Royal Resort.
- The traditional Jam Session will take place this year at the Dekel Beach offering a great musical happening with parties, live performances and DJs playing select cross-border-and-style quality music.
“Marking the 31st year of the Red Sea Jazz Festival, we are delighted to present a combination of original jazz music with original performances of authentic Israeli and world music, a splendid combination of artists from Israel and from around the world, a winning combination of music in the port by the Red Sea bay. Enjoy the magical atmosphere of this wonderful city.”
– Yossi Chen, CEO of the Eilat Municipal Tourism Corporation, the Eilat Municipality Red Sea Jazz Festival production management
The festival hotel Leonardo Royal Resort, the host of artists and production staff, as well as the Israeli Jazz Convention’s discussion panels, master classes and a special children’s show, offers a variety of jazz delights at the lobby and near the pool. Transportation will be available from the Leonardo Royal Resort hotel to Eilat Port and back.
The Festival’s traditional Jam Stage is set this year again at the Dekel Beach. The festival’s Jam Stage hosts spectacular performances every night with festival artists playing alongside young jazz artists until the late hours, creating a unique and exciting experience of refreshing and energetic jazz. Many of the Festival’s guests extend the celebration of jazz into the night at the famous festival Jam Stage that is an established jazz scene in its own right. The Red Sea Jazz Festival guest artists are traditionally invited to join the jam, and are usually seen and heard on the stage in addition to schedule performances. The RSJF jam session is an event not to be missed by anyone who is a real jazz fan.
“This is my sixth year as Artistic Director of the Red Sea Jazz Festival, and like previously, I am proud and excited this year to present a rich and varied program: four days and nights of singing jazz, conversing and celebrating through a language that redefines creativity, fellowship, reciprocity, excellence, prayer, lamentation, and the pursuit of freedom. This year, too, we are bound to be overcome with astonishment and wonder. Dozens of musicians, from Israel and worldwide, will come to Eilat to share their gift with us, recharging us with fresh energy, and inspiring our thoughts, before returning to our daily lives. Here, in Eilat, every day is a holiday with an overwhelming sense of freedom.”
– Eli Djibri, RSJF artistic director